A volunteer-staffed health center was created in the 60’s to address the issue of high infant mortality in the African-American community. It has since transformed into a health center with staff physicians dedicated to providing primary health care to the underserved in our community. This health center was named for Frances Nelson when it moved into her former home in 1969.
Frances Nelson was a significant figure in the history of the Champaign-Urbana community. In the 1940s when African-American children found themselves without a home, Ms. Nelson welcomed them with open arms and put a roof over their heads. She encouraged them to become outstanding members of the community.
In 2006, the Health Center moved to its current location on Bloomington Road in Champaign. Just five years later, in 2011, the Frances Nelson Dental Center opened in the same location. In 2012, ownership of both clinics was transferred to a local entity, Promise Healthcare.
Promise Healthcare currently operates three clinic locations in Champaign-Urbana. The Frances Nelson Clinic is located at 819 Bloomington Road and offers medical care for all ages, adult and teen counseling, dental care, adult psychiatry, access to free or affordable medications and an outreach and enrollment staff to assist with Medicaid or Marketplace insurance enrollment. The Urbana School-Based Health Center is located at 1002 S Race Street inside the Urbana High School. This location offered medical care for all ages, teen counseling, school physicals, sports physicals, dental care, school dental exams, STI testing and birth control. The Neil Street Clinic offers adult psychiatry, adult counseling, psychiatric medication discount program, psychiatric medication management and primary medical care.
Promise Healthcare continues to grow and expand locations and services to meet the needs of the community.
- Jennifer Henry, Chief Executive Officer
- Michele Latorre, Executive Services Director
- Melonie Richardson, Chief Medical Officer
- Eddie Green, Medical Services Director
- Jamie Dahlman, Chief Financial Officer
- Lisa Kilawee, VP of Strategy and Business Development
- Hillary Swinford, Dental Practice Manager
- Zina Soltis, VP Risk, Quality and Compliance
- Staci Disney, Director of Marketing and Development
- James Hamilton, Director of Behavioral Health
- Nick Isaac, VP Administration
- Debbie Starkey, Community Outreach Director
- Rick Ballard, Director of Facilities and Support